> Office 2007
> Word 2007 Document Packages
Word 2007 Document Packages
Wednesday, August 9, 2006
Microsoft Office Word 2007 provides a new default file format called Microsoft Office Word XML Format (Word XML Format). The following extract from a MSDN article is a must read. It talks about how the package format decreases file size for Office documents.
The file format in Word 2007 consists of a compressed ZIP file, called a package. This package holds all of the content that is contained within the document. Using the package format decreases file size for Office documents because of the ZIP compression. The new format is also more robust to errors in transmission or handling. It allows you to manipulate the file contents using industry-standard ZIP-based tools. An easy way to look inside the new file format is to save a Word 2007 document in the new default format and rename the file with a .zip extension. Double-click the file to open and view its contents.
Note To understand the composition of a file based on Microsoft Office Open XML Formats (Office XML Formats), you may want to extract its parts. To open the file, it is assumed that you have a ZIP utility, such as WinZip, installed on your computer. To open a Word XML Format file in Word 2007:
- Create a temporary folder in which to store the file and its parts.
- Save a Word document (containing text, pictures, and so forth) as a .docx file.
- Add a .zip extension to the end of the file name.
- Double-click the file. It will open in the ZIP utility. You can see the document parts that are included in the file.
- Extract the parts to the folder that you created earlier.
- Integrated ZIP compression reduces the file size by up to 75 percent. Files are further broken down into a modular file structure that makes data recovery more successful and enhances security. The new format segments files into components that you can manage and repair independently. Files created in the new format also have a distinctive file extension for each application, depending on the file type.